Why Mission Dolores?
Mission Dolores Park has had a trash problem…for…years. Great weather, a gorgeous view of the city, and open space for families to enjoy also make this park a common area for trash to accumulate.
Did you know that typically 7,000–10,000 people visit Mission Dolores Park on a sunny weekend day? Or that it has hosted political rallies, festivals, Aztec ceremonial dances, Cinco de Mayo celebrations, and San Francisco Mime Troupe performances?
It’s important that we protect this spot so that everyone can continue to enjoy this neighborhood.
A win-win-win solution!
Rubbish was founded to solve the global trash problem, one piece of litter data at a time. We created the Rubbish iOS app to track litter and make picking up litter fun.
Thanks to a unique sponsorship from a local SF resident, residents who clean up litter using the Rubbish app will be able to earn rewards to local shops! The reward:
- Is our way of showing thanks for making the community cleaner
- Helps drive traffic to local businesses
Don’t forget the environmental benefits!
And at the end of the day, we have some data-savvy folks who can turn the litter data collected into meaningful insight. For example, did you know that one well-placed cigarette receptacle installed (by yours truly) in the optimal location reduced cigarette litter by 46% in just 2 weeks!? Our goal is for this campaign to lead to real, long-term change.
How this works
Rob Levy — longtime SF resident, Compass realtor, and Mission Dolores lover — knows how important Mission Dolores Park is to San Francisco and the community. He’s sponsored Rubbish to encourage cleanups in the greater Dolo area and reward the first 100 people who clean up >100 pieces of litter.
From October 2 to October 11:
- Download the Rubbish app
- Pick up 100 pieces of litter in Mission Dolores using the app
- Share your Rubbish summary screen on Instagram and tag us @rubbish.love
- We’ll send you details to redeem a gift card to a local business, our way of showing thanks!
How can I get involved?
If you’re interested and nearby, join the cleanup!
Also, say hi to the Rubbish Team at the park on the corner of 18th and Dolores, on:
- Fri, Oct 2 from 2–5pm
- Sat, Oct 3 from 2–5pm
- Sat, Oct 10 from 12–5pm
In addition to rewards, we’ll be giving away litter picker-uppers, t-shirts, and stickers!
Want to try out one of our smart beams? Book a time here!
Interested in what we’re doing?
1. Check out our website at rubbish.love.
2. Use our litter-tracking app to go on a rubbish run.
3. Support us on Patreon.
4. Connect with us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, or LinkedIn.
5. Say hi on our weekly live-stream litter pickup in San Francisco on Reddit. (Be sure to click “follow” so you know when we’re live!)